Wednesday 15 October 2008

Pride, anger and Sin

Football is a game that I enjoy passionately. However recently a lack of time has prevented me from playing. So upfit and eager I trained for the first time in ages and played a 6 a side game. Now for those of you who don't know I'm a defender, I play to win and try to stop attacks and generally anyone coming past me. I only know one way to play football, and most sports for that matter, it's all or nothing, phrases like "it's only a game" only serve to aggravate me as the inference behind the comment is always you are playing too hard or don't take it seriously. I have no 99% only 100%, sometimes I'll admit my 100% is not great but it is always 100%. The problem comes where playing at 100% often means going over the limit, my blood starts boiling and tackles fly. Unfortunately football brings out the worst in me, it flares my temper and causes me to take vengeance which isn't right, but I know no other way to play.

The pride part is where I believe I'm better than I am or that I deserve status and acknowledgement. Now i am a leader, I don't believe that statement is a proud one as it takes a lot for me to write that, however I oftne have thoughts, of "I could do that better" or "I deserve to be more important" etc. etc.

Why am I blogging about my shortcomings? Because I am becoming more and more aware of them, as I have started working, I have become more tired and when I am tired I am more often tempted into sin or more likely to make foolish errors. It is only God's grace that holds me, his love that perpetuates me, I am weak, but I am so glad God uses weak people. I am a leader but have done nothing to deserve such a title, yet God has placed it upon me out of his love and grace, praise be to God.

Whatever God has given you whether much or little use it wisely and widely. It is better to have few gifts used to their maximum than many gifts that are squandered.

No comments: