Wednesday 30 April 2008

Leadership & Management

Leadership is an issue that affects us all. We have all been lead by someone, or lead someone.
I enjoy observing different leadership styles and taking on board the successes and learning from the mistakes.

The difference between leadership and management can be a confusing one, and they often cross-over. Personally I believe a leader sets the vision and gets people behind them naturally, where as management is appointed and controls how a team operates.

The bible seems more leadership orientated than management orientated, and although Churches can learn helpful things from managers, the authority should always rest with how we see leadership in the bible.

I find the Apprentice interesting to watch, although it has seemingly got more TV show oriented than business oriented, there are still many valuable lessons to be learned from the successes and mistakes of the contestants, especially the leadership/management styles.

Many of the contestants come across as arrogant, and whilst confidence is important, arrogance makes others feel smaller. The good leaders on the show, allocate the tasks to people's strengths (e.g. not Helene wk 3), encourage one another (the boys wk2), and inspire their team (Raef wk2). On the last series there was one instance where Tre was team leader and did a lot of the work in the team and became frustrated. Sir Alan's observer noted that although Tre had undoubtedly worked the hardest, he hadn't lead the team, because he failed to allocate tasks (manage) or inspire others (lead).

In my experience good leadership is decisive, where as bad leadership is devisive and leads to splits and rifts, leading to inefficiency.

This quote seems to sum up leadership quite well

"Management is efficiency in climbing the ladder of success; leadership determines whether the ladder is leaning against the right wall." (Stephen Covey)

Leaders, inspire and set the right course, managers make sure that course is stuck to and the best results achieved, and some people can do both.



Just in case you've missed it, I will leave you with a few quotes from the latest Apprentice series

Real eyes, realize, real lies (Ian)

There are two types of people, winners and I can't even say the other one, it begins with L (Ian)

I always do outstanding in whatever I do, I've only ever failed once, when I got a B in French at GCSE (Nicholas De Lacy- Brown)

If someone called me arrogant, I'd say you are 100% right and what are you going to do about it. (Michael)

I'm not afraid to cut off loved ones, if it means I get the job (Michael)

The spoken word is my tool (Raef)

I didn't label shark a hamster (Raef)

People are vying for the prime spot of situation which i do find a little irksome. (Lucinda)

I am concerned, Lee McQueen is concerned (Lee)

As a sales person I rate myself as the best in europe (Jenny)


No comments: