Wednesday 19 March 2008

In These Modern Times (2)

Adding to what I wrote in my last blog. Technology can prove a valuable asset to us, we are able to be more widely read, able to listen to preaches more readily and able to contact people millions of miles away, however it often becomes a convenience thing, far from making us more effective, it gives us an easy option, texting instead of the calling, calling instead of speaking face to face, or staying in and watching TV instead of going out.

It can also be more time consuming, scouring the web to find what you want can take a long time, or the numerous distractions of games and funny videos. You often end up doing less than you hoped for, unless you are really disciplined. The scariest thing for me is when I go onto autopilot in the morning and immediately turn on my computer to check if anyone has sent me e-mails or the news has changed, since I checked it last night! I mean how much happens when I sleep?

Technology is good if it helps us to glorify God, but where it comes instead of relationships, where it makes us less effective and not more, then it's purpose has been lost and the problem it is solving still exists.


I've included this diagram from a module I did last Semester which involved High-tech companies.The diagram shows different peoples reaction to new technology. Innovators ("techies") buy new technology as soon as it is out, even with the likely bugs and problems, these are the type of people that buzz when Apple announces a new product. I think in someways it's good to be an innovator, we should celebrate creation as it is an echo of God's character, as long as we recognize God as the author of all things and worship the creator above the created (Romans 1).

The gap or chasm between Early Adopters and Early Majority is because it is difficult to transition a product from the techies to the Majority, e.g. this is where HD-DVDs recently came unstuck and even Blu-Ray has yet to crack the Majority market.

Personally I am in the late majority, partly due to not wanting to waste my money on any product that is merely a "gizmo" or gadget, I want something that is genuinely helpful and good, rather than something to show-off to my mates. For instance I don't own an I-pod because I think they are over-priced for the technology, you can get better MP3 players, just not as well branded ones, I use my phone very rarely because there are cheaper and more effective ways of communicating, as I mentioned in the previous blog. I think I shock the sales people on the phone when they ask how much I spend on my phone and I tell them I top-up quarterly between £10-£15, they usually sheepishly mutter about some deal and realize it is far beyond what I spend.

Does the technology you have add to your life? Does it make you more or less effective?
Are you addicted to technology?

No comments: